CARSOUND.COM Forum

Go Back   CARSOUND.COM Forum > General Forums > Audio Questions & Answers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2002, 10:29 PM   #1
D.T.Sealy

A friend of mine dug out his old Eclipse 5440 cd player today. After he got the thing installed, he came to realize that it required a code to operate. He hasn't used it in years and has no idea what it used to be. Is there any simple bypass for this protection feature?
D.T.Sealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 05:38 AM   #2
Specop_007

Yep. Take it to the dealer. Takes about, 3 minutes or so. Happened to me. My dad, kind guy he is, changed my battery cause it was dead. But, that caused the unit to lock up. I didnt remember the unlock CD. Off to dealer, took me probably 15 minutes total, as he had to dig up the info.

On the whole though its a pretty painless process.
Provided the unit isnt stolen and IS yours.
Specop_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 01:01 PM   #3
PerryB

Quote:
Originally posted by D.T.Sealy:
A friend of mine dug out his old Eclipse 5440 cd player today. After he got the thing installed, he came to realize that it required a code to operate. He hasn't used it in years and has no idea what it used to be. Is there any simple bypass for this protection feature?
The local shop is an eclipse dealer, and I don't believe they can unlock a deck. They can sometimes "reset" the deck so you get 5 more tries to put in the correct cd. In order for the shop or eclipse to do anything for you, you have to have proof that the deck is in the hands of its rightful owner.
Old 12-08-2002, 02:47 PM   #4
Specop_007

They can unlock them. For me, the installer called Eclipse, I dunno what they talked about, but after a few minutes on the phone he went out to my car and like 5 minutes later it was reset to factory defaults. So just go to the dealer and they can unlock it.
Old 12-08-2002, 04:35 PM   #5
PerryB

Quote:
Originally posted by Specop_007:
They can unlock them. For me, the installer called Eclipse, I dunno what they talked about, but after a few minutes on the phone he went out to my car and like 5 minutes later it was reset to factory defaults. So just go to the dealer and they can unlock it.
That is good to know, but ofcourse, only if you can provide all the proof of ownership.
Old 12-08-2002, 04:38 PM   #6
lakersfan1

Quote:
Originally posted by PerryB:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Specop_007:
That is good to know, but ofcourse, only if you can provide all the proof of ownership.</font>[/quote]Don't they keep a registration at Eclipse so they know who the proper owner is of each unit in case it's stolen and recovered? If so, why would you need to provide proof of ownership if you were the last registered owner of the unit?
Old 12-08-2002, 10:48 PM   #7
Specop_007

Lakers is right. They do keep it on file at the Eclipse keeper of record thingie. That is something they confirm in the phone call, as the S/N of the unit if displayed right on the face when it gets locked, if I remember correctly.
Regardless, if its not a stolen unit, go to the dealer and let them sort it out. Thats what I did. 20 minutes, another 5 to re-program all my stations and settings and happy days again. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2002, 01:14 AM   #8
CincyR/T

No different then the old Kenwood Mask units that could be unlocked using a Kenwood K-CAR remote. Don't know if the new ones can be unlocked the same way...but you didn't have to send those back in to Kenwood either.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:11 AM   #9
HCCAfan

how do you program it to the cd you want if it isnt locked? my old one was never programmed and i installed it into my buddy's sunfire and he doesnt have the alarm, he thinks this would help him from theft.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:35 PM   #10
OldOneEye

I'm not sure where everyone is getting their info. Here is what I remember from selling Eclipse (and having to send radios like yours back to get decoded).

For the older radios, radio has a Code CD. You put it in, programs your radio to only accept that CD to unlock it. Lose power, you have to put that CD in again to unlock it. Lose or forget what CD it was, and its making a trip back to Eclipse for decoding.

Newer radios (the ones starting with 5 digits in the name) have a backdoor way in. The owner registers it, then if he loses it he can get a bypass code to get into the radio if he can answer a few questions (mother's maiden name, person who registered it). Pretty complicated, beats pulling the radio out.

So your options are:

1. Figure out the Code CD.
2. Send it to Eclipse.
3. Buy a new radio.

Juan