CARSOUND.COM Forum

Go Back   CARSOUND.COM Forum > Archived Forums > Matt Borgardt on Fabrication
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2002, 06:11 PM   #1
siege

I am going to fiberglass some speaker enclosures into my door panels. It's just that textured plastic you find everywhere else in the car. question is, how do I make the fiberglass stick to it? do I need to rough it up with some sand paper first, or will it just stick to it anyway, or what? any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Old 12-24-2002, 07:06 PM   #2
lakersfan1

Clean the plastic really good with dish detergent, then rough up wit hsand paper. Then get a good plastic epoxy adhesive and brush a medium coat of it on the plastic. Then, while wet, lay on a layer of fiberglass cloth, but don't pressit all the way in so the whole thing is saturated. Just let the plastic epoxy soak into one half the thickness of the fiberglass cloth. Once dried overnight, go ahead and brush fiberglass resin onto the top half of the fiberglass cloth to create a layer of fiberglass that more layers of fiberglass and resin will stick to easily.

PS - The best plastic epocy I found was the ACE brand stuff, obviously at ACE. They have a couple kinds, but it was the slowest curing one that took 24 hours to cure. The other fast set ones were too thick to sink into the pores of the plastic grain to get a really good adhesion.

Old 12-24-2002, 07:14 PM   #3
siege

should I just use 80-grit to rough it up, or do I need to go lower?

thanks for the info Jason

Old 12-24-2002, 07:41 PM   #4
lakersfan1

80's fine. Just get some good scoring going on so the epoxy has a good texture to grip on to.

Old 12-25-2002, 01:34 PM   #5
Richie Rich

Cool

What I usually do is drill lots of 3/8" holes in the plastic in the area u want the fiberglass to stick to. Then lay mat on both sides of the plastic and then resin it all. The resin runs through the holes and the front and back fiberglass mat bond together. The back fiberglass anchors it onto the panel. Good Luck with what ever approach you take. Richie Rich [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-27-2002, 08:54 AM   #6
SouthEastCustomz

Lightbulb

yesh yesh, drilling holes in the plastic would be really nice! I like to place a layer of glass then try to put screws in the panel where you can

or just make a negative mold of the entire panel!

greg
Chris and Greg Iasca Judges and competitors
www.SouthEastCustomz.com
CUSTOM FABRICATION STUDIO
if you can think it we can build it!
Old 12-28-2002, 02:07 AM   #7
BASF

Jason-

Isn't plastic epoxy primer used to get fiberglass and resin to stick to metal?

I wouldn't think you would use this (or need it) for plastic.

No? I have a similar project coming up and I'd like to know.

Old 12-28-2002, 06:43 AM   #8
siege

well as it turns out I just said screw it and I'm not making it stick to the plastic [img]smile.gif[/img]

I just decided to make an entirely new piece in a similar-but-different shape. basically instead of just glassing the enclosure on the existing panel, I am making a much much bigger panel for the enclosure.

I'm not too sure how my approach is going to work, but I'll find out tomorrow (or in a couple hours), cause I just started the base piece. What I did was first draw out the desired shape on a piece of christmas wrapping paper (didn'thave any other paper big enough), then cut that out and trace it onto some cardboard, and cut that out. About an hour ago, I soaked the cardboard in resin and when it dries, hopefully it will be strong enough to support a speaker for a little so I can aim....then I will re-enforce it with some fiberglass cloth, etc, and do the enclosure. If that makes sense....

I'll keep you guys posted

Old 12-28-2002, 12:53 PM   #9
lakersfan1

Quote:
Originally posted by BASF:
Jason-

Isn't plastic epoxy primer used to get fiberglass and resin to stick to metal?

I wouldn't think you would use this (or need it) for plastic.

No? I have a similar project coming up and I'd like to know.
I don't know about metal or primer. All I know is to get fiberglass and/or Bondo to stick to my particular stock plastic panels, I had to use plastic epoxy. The only stuff that worked acceptably for me was the stuff in a double syringe at ACE. Only the slow set one was thin enough to brush on. All the other brands of plastic epoxy I tried were way to thick and had poorer adhesion properties. However, I'm sure there are even better epoxies for this application somewhere. I just found this at the last minute. Maybe Select Products or SEM has something even better for the application????

Old 12-28-2002, 04:47 PM   #10
J_Sayen

Vette Panel Adhesive (available at most body shop supply stores) works really good to stick things to plastic. It is a lot like bondo and uses the same hardner but will stick to plastic when it's prepared properly.