CARSOUND.COM Forum

Go Back   CARSOUND.COM Forum > Archived Forums > Matt Borgardt on Fabrication
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2001, 03:08 PM   #1
Mike Lacher
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 906
Question

I do most of my fiberglassing in my attic with a window open. The fumes do not bother me much as far as smell goes, but should I have some sort of respirator ? I don't want my kids to be born all deformed because there daddy inhaled too much resin fumes.

Mike


------------------
djsexay
- visit my web site for kickpanels for your 3rd gen f-body -
www.lachernet.com
Mike Lacher is offline  
Old 05-11-2001, 03:48 PM   #2
paulport
 
Posts: n/a
Post

I think the fumes given off whilst curing
are mostly Styrene ??...

There are plenty of websites with info...

Or ask your Supplier... they should have a data sheet.
 
Old 05-11-2001, 05:25 PM   #3
tomeaine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: new bedford,ma
Posts: 869
Post

use a resperator..
they cost around 25-40bucks at home depot..worth every penney..
tomeaine is offline  
Old 05-12-2001, 04:06 AM   #4
MPipes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Lake Havasu, AZ USA
Posts: 1,307
Post

Well the Material Safety Data Sheet doesnt say anything about birth defects, but there's still some danger. Here's a clip below...........


Resin is an irritant to skin, eyes, and mucous membranes. Inhalation of vapors and/or absorption through the skin may cause liver and kidney damage and could possibly lead to cancer. Work areas should be ventilated to reduce vapor concentrations. Users should wear gloves, goggles, protective clothing, and an approved charcoal-cartridge respirator. Avoid swallowing and all contact with eyes. Avoid prolonged or frequent contact with the skin. If swallowed do not induce vomiting; seek immediate medical aid. Flush eyes with copious amounts of water; seek immediate medical aid. Incidental skin contamination may be removed with a waterless handcleaner followed by thorough washing with soap and water.

MPipes is offline  
Old 05-12-2001, 10:41 AM   #5
Mike Lacher
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 906
Post

thanks all,
The resin fumes never really bother me like some people, but I just never knew if the stuff was just an irritating smell, or if it could affect ones health. Looks like a respirator will be added to my fiberglass tools.

Mike
Mike Lacher is offline  
Old 05-13-2001, 02:57 AM   #6
GlasSman
Senior Member
 
GlasSman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: CT
Posts: 1,002
Post

Good choice.
GlasSman is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.